GET STARTED ON ICCM WITH OUR FREE COURSE
Free Foundational Course in Medicinal Cannabis
The courses in this module is designed to cover foundational knowledge in medicinal cannabis so that you understand how medicinal cannabis works and its scientific base.
TAKE A POSITIVE STEP IN THE CANNABIS INDUSTRY
There are twelve learning modules in the course. Each learning module has a 30 minutes video with a ten question quiz. When you complete the quiz, a certificate of completion is generated which you can use for continuing professional development. We suggest you follow the order of the learning modules as these have been sequenced in order for you to gradually build your knowledge.
The last module is a case study module. It provides an active learning exercise where you look at medicinal cannabis products and decide what you would prescribe if the patient was yours.
What’s included in the course?
More than 5 hours of video content
There are 30-40 minutes of video presentation for each courses in this learning module.
12 courses covering foundational knowledge on Medicinal Cannabis
There are 12 courses in this free foundational module, covering topics such as Anxiety and Medicinal Cannabis, CBD Prescribing Considerations, Medicinal Cannabis in Treatment of Chronic Pain and much more.
Self-quiz for each learning module
Each course comes with a 10 question self-quiz. This is a way for you to assess your learning as you progress through the course.
Certificate of Completion
You will receive a Certificate of Completion once you finish the quiz for your continuing professional development. Share the certificate on your socials to let others know about your progress.
Which topics does the module cover?
- Overview of Medicinal Cannabis – In this learning module, we explore what medicinal cannabis is, including its history of use, the major components of cannabis (cannabidiol [CBD], tetrahydrocannabinol [THC], terpenes), and the major therapeutic actions of THC and CBD and their mechanisms of action.
- Anxiety and Medicinal Cannabis – In this presentation, Professor Kylie O’Brien explores the scientific evidence of how our endocannabinoid system is involved in the regulation of emotions and in the pathophysiology of anxiety.
- CBD Prescribing Considerations – In this presentation, family physican Dr. Philip Blair MD, an experienced medicinal cannabis prescriber, will cover the different categories of diseases that are amenable to treatment with cannabidiol (CBD), and explain the mechanism of action and evidence of efficacy of CBD in several conditions.
- Cannabis Pharmacokinetics – In this presentation, pharmacology expert Associate Professor Ali Seyfoddin (New Zealand) takes us through the pharmacokinetics of medicinal cannabis, covering the routes of delivery of cannabis (inhalation, oral, buccal, rectal and transdermal routes) and the associated absorption characteristics, distribution, metabolism and elimination.
- Medical Cannabis in Treatment of Chronic Pain –In this presentation, you will learn about the three main pain pathways (peripheral, ascending and descending), the role of the endocannabinoid system including CB1 and CB2 receptor signaling in pain modulation, and the mechanisms by which cannabinoids and terpenoids effect antinociceptive actions.
- The Endocannabinoid System in Health and Disease – In this foundation module, neuroscientist Dr Elisabeth Philipps presents an overview of the endocannabinoid system, covering its components, distribution and roles including in stress modulation, pain, inflammation, neuroinflammation and more.
- Cannabis and the Immune System – In this learning module, leading cannabis clinician and expert, Dr Philip Blair MD explores how key phytocannabinoids can modulate the various aspects of our immune system.
- Safety of Medicinal Cannabis – In this presentation, Associate Professor Ali Seyfoddin gives a summary of the safety aspects of cannabis, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) including common side effects, drug-cannabis interactions, and contraindications.
- Cannabis and Sleep – In this presentation, US trauma specialist Dr Steven Salzman MD explains the importance of addressing sleep disorders when treating chronic pain and chronic illness, with a focus on the evidence that key phytocannabinoids cannabidiol (CBD) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) can help address insomnia, sleep apnoea and excessive daytime sleepiness.
- Foundation Case Study (Insomnia & Anxiety) – In this module, Dr Olga De Sanctis (Canada) and Dr Carolyn Bosak (Australia), general practitioners and medicinal cannabis experts, present case studies focused on common conditions seen in clinic: insomnia and anxiety.
- Prof. Kylie O’Brien, PhD (Chair)
- Dr Philip Blair, MD (CMO)
- Malcolm Lamont, BAppSc (Plant Genetics Expert)
- Mrs Tricia Greenway (Consumer Advisor)
- Associate Prof. Ali Seyfoddin, PhD (Pharmacy Advisor)
- Prof. Ian Brighthope, MBBS (Nutritional Medicine Expert)